Tuesday, May 14, 2013

How I Nearly Had an Emergency C-Section When All I Wanted Was Tea pt 4

Sunday morning. We're exhausted. My poor husband has been with me all weekend, sleeping on a  pull out bed in the room, while nurses flow in and out, checking my contractions, my meds, the baby's heartbeat and anything else they need to. They've given him pillows and blankets to help him be comfortable, but it's a hospital. Sleep is difficult, to say the least.

Sleeping in a hospital room is a lot like sleeping in a hotel, only your bedroom door is constantly being opened so you can be poked and prodded to make sure you're alright. It's loud, it's busy and it's generally not restful. The idea of a full night's sleep in our own bed sounds glorious. The question is, when is that happening? I have my mind set on tonight, but I realize a lot of that is up to how everything is looking.

Admittedly, this is an interesting turn of events. Just the other night I was looking at a C-Section and now, here we are, looking to head home. I'm not bleeding anymore, and haven't been since really early Saturday morning. My contractions, while on going, have settled into more Braxton Hicks type pattern, a huge change from the labor contractions I was having Friday night. I don't even feel them anymore. Haven't for over a day.

This whole deal wasn't supposed to happen. I have no risk factors for placental separation. The attending Doc says these sorts of things are a 1 in 200 chance. They do just happen, but, when they do, they generally only happen once. I still have a clot floating around, and I will need to be very careful, but odds are good the rest of the pregnancy will be uneventful and go full term. I'm cleared to go, and will probably be discharged by 5pm.  WHOO! Modified bed rest is in my future. I can't work, but I can at least get up to use the restroom, get myself some food, and light activity. I can't sit down normally for a bit, lest the pressure on my cervix cause problems. I have to recline. Can't ride in a car too long, but I can make it back and forth to my appointments. In a few day slight walking, around the block, will be fine. Just don't do too much. They don't know what caused the tear in the first place and no one wants to see it happen again.

So that was it, that was my weekend. A simple trip for tea turned into a near C-Section and a weekend stay in the county hospital. The lesson here, kids, is weird things can happen. You need to be ready to act when they do.

I want to say thanks to all the nurses and doctors who helped me through the weekend. I seriously had a great nursing crew. They were patient, answered all my questions and were a pleasure to be around. They were everything I always heard nurses could be and they were great at it to boot. Everyone who was on shift came out to say goodbye when I left. I need to send them all flowers or something, seriously.

I did get my tea too, by the way. A nice tall jasmine lime arrived once I was able to eat real food and drink things again.

No comments:

Post a Comment